When ordering pizza, whether dining-in at your favourite restaurant or getting a delivery, the hardest thing may be figuring out what size to get. You want to make sure you’ll have enough to adequately satisfy everyone, but you aren’t trying to feed all of Calgary! Nevertheless, at Tom’s House of Pizza, we think the best decision is to order a little extra! Why? Two words: leftover pizza.
How to Properly Put Away Leftover Pizza
A leftover pizza lunch is quite possibly one of the greatest meals ever created! Sometimes, second day pizza gets a bad rap, but to the uninitiated and disbelieving few we say: you aren’t doing it right! Leftover pizza can be truly excellent, and the first step in attaining an otherworldly day-two slice is to make sure you pack it away right. Here’s what to do:
1. Allow pizza to completely cool.
2. Remove the slices of pizza from the delivery box and lay them on top of a plate.
3. Place parchment paper (available at most grocery stores in Calgary) over the slices on your plate and proceed to layer more slices on top.
4. For each new layer, place another piece of parchment paper over the pile.
5. Once all slices are out of the box, Saran Wrap the whole bundle and store it in the fridge for up to five days.
How to Reheat Leftover Pizza
Of course, stashing your pizza is only half the equation: the other critical element is reheating it. While there’s more than one method to warm up a slice or two, in order to achieve the ultimate in melty cheese, crispy crust and all around deliciousness, the best method is to use your toaster oven on medium heat. This way your crust will stay crispy while the toppings and cheese warm up. Alternatively, if you have a good non-stick skillet you can also try warming your slices on your range at medium-low heat. Be careful not to reheat at too high a temperature or your crust may burn before the top is melted.
If you Must Microwave
Microwaving is not the best way to heat up leftover pizza. The crust can easily become too dry or weirdly chewy in a way that’s less than ideal. But, if you’re somewhere with no access to other cooking methods, or are simply in a bit of a rush, you can achieve the best possible slice by doing the following:
1. Lay a piece of paper towel or parchment on a microwave safe plate.
2. Place a pizza slice on top of the paper.
3. Pour water into a microwave safe mug and place it on the plate beside the pizza slice.
4. Nuke everything together at half power at one minute intervals until desired heat level is achieved.
The moisture released from the mug of water will help revitalize all pizza ingredients and give you better crust texture as well.
Order Your Pizza Now
Hungry? Why not join us for a slice of delicious thin-crust pizza at Tom’s House of Pizza restaurant? Thanks to our commitment to using only the freshest ingredients and our unbeatable pizza menu, we’re proud to say we’re Calgary’s oldest existing pizzeria, and one of its best. Contact us to find the location nearest you or order your pizza for delivery today. And, of course, if you have a few slices left over now you know what to do!